Go Back   Fallen Angels > General Discussion > Anything Goes!

A deep thread (Psychology)
Old 12-31-2006, 10:06 AM   #1  
blood

blood is
Default A deep thread (Psychology)

How would you define Psychology? This regards seeing a "professional" psychiatrist who would psychoanalyze you at their office. (more about the process than the science of it all)

Wikipedia says...
As a technique of psychotherapy, psychoanalysis seeks to discover connections among the unconscious components of patients' mental processes. The analyst's goal is to help liberate the patient from unexamined or unconscious barriers of transference and resistance, that is, past patterns of relating that are no longer serviceable or that inhibit freedom.

Personally, I'd say it could be summed up as...
"Exploiting the good of a person to give into persistent suggestions." Meaning they keep insisting until you, out of your own free will, in order to alleviate tensions, give in. This definition doesn't include WHY, but HOW it works.

What do you think?

[yes this is a random thread.. if people answer i'll put up more for deep thinkers//introspectives. if you have nothing useful to say then just don't reply and let the thread die. cheers ^_^]

Old 12-31-2006, 10:43 AM   #2  
})FA.cL0cK
Alcoholic

sounds like you've been to a shrink before. psychology is best learned from uncontrolled enviroments, and unbiased paper tests.

It's time to meet your master.

Old 12-31-2006, 10:50 AM   #3  
blood

blood is

Quote:
Originally Posted by })FA.cL0cK
sounds like you've been to a shrink before. psychology is best learned from uncontrolled enviroments, and unbiased paper tests.
sure i have, but that isn't the point. a more recent experience in a ventrilo lead me to post this. someone was attempting to psychoanalyze some shit, had me laughing at how he thought he knew what psychology was and i wanted an opinion.

Old 12-31-2006, 11:33 AM   #4  
Napir
SC2 Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by blood
sure i have, but that isn't the point. a more recent experience in a ventrilo lead me to post this. someone was attempting to psychoanalyze some shit, had me laughing at how he thought he knew what psychology was and i wanted an opinion.

Opinion: Games destroy's lives for sure ( if you play to much )

Old 12-31-2006, 12:15 PM   #5  
blood

blood is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napir
Opinion: Games destroy's lives for sure ( if you play to much )
Erm, not what I was getting at.

Anyone care to read the thread? lol..

Old 12-31-2006, 01:47 PM   #6  
Paav21
AA Team

Psychology is the act of working out a mental issue through questioning and lessening. Many people ‘feel’ there is something wrong but they are not being asked the right questions to get at the root of the problem. Most of the time, the ‘cure’ is just counseling. Most people go in to counseling for one problem, but find out that that problem wasn’t really bothering them in the first place, but something else. Psychiatry is looking for a chemical/hormonal problem that is leading to certain ideas or behaviors. This is where they start to prescribe drugs to fix the problem. I went to school to become a psychologist, but didn't finish. It costs way too much.

Old 12-31-2006, 02:03 PM   #7  
IceBlade
Forum Nazi

I saw a shrink for 20 mins before he prescribed me happy pills and apparently now I'm okay. I can't really answer your question. Some psychiatrists probably do actually solve your problems while others just do what yours or mine did.

Old 01-02-2007, 02:29 AM   #8  
Hell-Kite
Skelator

It depends on who you see, i've never personally seen one, but I have friends who have and who want to do it for a profession, and my general understand is they basically just listen to ur problems, and might offer "suggestions" as to what you already know the real answer is. Personally I find the entire field suspect at best but some ppl find it very useful

Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici

Old 01-02-2007, 10:03 AM   #9  
blood

blood is

i have at least 5 friends who went to school to be school counselors and what not.. completely goes against the grain for me. Problems are for friends, not someone you don't know. The process is good (in it's most innocent form) but to pay someone to make you think.....<good/bad possiblities here>. I've found talking with close friends and figuring shit out myself is best for me, especially the latter.

The things asked in vent were related to my upbringing. The person asked core questions that I didn't feel they had any right to ask due to how long I've known them and the approach. My friend Tracey (guy) knew things I've just found out in the last year since he knew my sister (who is 5 years older than me) but refused to hand me the answers or even say he knew.. One day a few months back I was over and I said "<insert explaination of something related to my parents here>. but you knew all that didn't you?" he just said "Yeah..."

Without you knowing my life or him it's hard to convey that as it was presented, if not impossible, but the feeling in the room (his wife was there) was one of remorse, thankfullness and the like. I'm glad I have friends like that whom understand what's going on w/me and stuff. Not in a puberty way but like what kinda methods work with getting me through shit. My parents have always failed at recognizing cause and effect with me and my sister, therefore we both pretty much brought ourselves up along with friends.

One question this guy asked was, "Have you ever been abused?" I replied, "My whole childhood was abuse." (As a whole, not full of instances.)

Please note this isn't some "feel sorry for me" thing as some members' first impressions are but rather just an inside perspective to why I mistrust people, keep them out, etc. A few of you oldschool FA guys know what I'm like, but not many. I hope to get to know some of you as well as some of my real-life friends.

Cheers,
})FA| blood//Gotenks

PS: There was a reason I was always on IRC saying I was bored back in the day ;) Now-days I've learned to use it, "it" meaning "being almost completely independant from my parents."

PPS: wordy I'm sure, but informative. Used to write a blog but got tired of updating it. *Shrug* I'm also the type that if you'd like to know something, ask, but expect a detailed answer.

^that was long overdue to some old members.

Last edited by blood : 01-02-2007 at 10:08 AM. Reason: i'm a computer genious, not a grammar jambaree winner

Old 01-02-2007, 12:26 PM   #10  
Gooshy
(>^_^(>O_O)> SURPRISE!

I swear every time I read this thread title I read "Deep Throat". Just Sayin'