Go Back   Fallen Angels > General Discussion > Anything Goes!

car savvy people
Old 04-28-2007, 10:44 AM   #1  
ITH
Killing Spree!

Default car savvy people

got a vehicle question for anyone. my car has a problem, when i drive it its fine but after awhile the battery will loose charge after about 4 or 5 starts and drives the battery will not turn over the engine. I figured it was just the battery not being able to keep a charge because if it was the alternator it would die while i was driving it, cause the voltage gauge does not decrease while im driving it. But i went out after 2 months of not driving it and it starts right up, which leads me to believe the battery can hold a charge, unless it just cant hold a charge while its being used. i dont feel like replacing the battery if thats not the problem so if u guys have any other ideas i would appreciate it.

Old 04-28-2007, 12:07 PM   #2  
Spin
Wicked Sick!

possibly a loose ground allowing it to charge from the alt some times, but not all the time. batteries have the ability to rebuild charge by themselves if all is well, i would take the battery to a parts store and have them test it, but first check your ground cable for excessive corrosion at the battery and make sure it is tight. and check tha alt for any loose wires also.

Old 04-28-2007, 03:52 PM   #3  
^-pRo
Killing Spree!

get a new battery or call the aa or rac or recovery company

thats my $0.02

Old 04-28-2007, 04:41 PM   #4  
MegamanEXE
First Blood!

Get the battery tested. If the alternator is not producing any less charge according to your volt meter, then it is likely the battery.

Old 04-28-2007, 06:18 PM   #5  
catch22
Killing Spree!

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITH
got a vehicle question for anyone. my car has a problem, when i drive it its fine but after awhile the battery will loose charge after about 4 or 5 starts and drives the battery will not turn over the engine. I figured it was just the battery not being able to keep a charge because if it was the alternator it would die while i was driving it, cause the voltage gauge does not decrease while im driving it. But i went out after 2 months of not driving it and it starts right up, which leads me to believe the battery can hold a charge, unless it just cant hold a charge while its being used. i dont feel like replacing the battery if thats not the problem so if u guys have any other ideas i would appreciate it.

First thing i would do is take your battery cables off and clean them up, as well as the battery contacts.

There are some signs you can look for that will indicate a problem with the charging system. If the headlights brighten or the blower motor picks up speed when you rev the engine, you may have a weak battery. This indicates the battery may not be holding enough current to run the car and is working off the alternator. If the charge light is on dimly at idle, this could indicate a weak alternator. If all the warning lights come on while driving, this could indicate a bad diode pack in the alternator. It may or may not still be charging. I know you said you dont think it is the alternator, but its still some things to look out for.

If you notice a strong sulfur smell, it could indicate a bad voltage regulator. The battery acid boiling inside the battery is causing the smell. I would say the best thing to do would be to take your car down to autozone or the like and see if they will test the battery for you.

It is kind of sounding like there is a short somewhere causing the battery to drain though. Check your battery cables and make sure none of them are melted from touching the engine, which is in turn making the battery cable contact the engine,manifold,header, etc etc causing the battery to drain. This happened on my Jeep that i had and causing what you described 99%. One more thing, you could go to walmart or something and get a new battery to see if it solves it. If it doesnt you can always return it to them and say it is a faulty unit LOL.

There are so many fawking things that could be messing it up. This information should get you started on troubleshooting the issue. Post back on your progress if you make any, i will keep an eye on this thread.

EDIT: Also do what spin said to do, that is some good advise.

Last edited by catch22 : 04-28-2007 at 06:23 PM.

Old 04-28-2007, 10:55 PM   #6  
ITH
Killing Spree!

k i doubt its loose or melted wiring its an MR2 the battery is by itself in the front of the car the engine is in the back. i appreciate all the help though, cant go to an auto zone or a walmart since i am in japan lol. anyways thanks guys.

Old 04-29-2007, 04:57 AM   #7  
})FA.cL0cK
Alcoholic

i thought people commuted via segway over there

It's time to meet your master.

Old 04-29-2007, 05:36 AM   #8  
ITH
Killing Spree!

i tried but they frown on naked segway driving