Go Back   Fallen Angels > Fallen Divisions > Retired Divisions > Counter-Strike

My classroom management plan ><
Old 07-13-2007, 04:59 PM   #1  
Sc0rPi0n
Super Moderator

Default My classroom management plan ><

This is a rough draft of my classroom management plan, I am not done yet but I wanted to know what you all thought. I actually probably will not run my classroom this way entirely, but this is also needed for an interview so I need to make it look legit.

Room Arrangement

I plan on arranging my room to be both formal and welcoming. My room will have desks placed in columns on separate sides of the classrooms so that there is space in the middle. This is so that all the students in the classroom are close to me while I lecture, while having enough space to move around and feel comfortable. This also provides a natural barrier so that I can arrange games and activities as well as groups. On the back side of the classroom I will place my desk and personal files, allowing me to have easy access to papers and keep an eye on my belongings as well as the classroom. I will position to have the chalkboard at the front of the classroom so that students can view classwork and overheads without having to turn their bodies. Extra materials and paperwork will be arranged on a desk near the entrance to the classroom.
The students desks will be arranged diagonally so that they can listen and take notes with ease. There will be minimal space between the teacher and the desks by placing the walking space in the middle of the classroom, and all the materials will either be out of the way or on top of an out of sight desk near the front of the classroom. This will place me near to my students, while at the same time giving them enough space so that they can feel comfortable and move around at their desk.
For students who have a culturally or linguistically diverse background, I will arrange for them to be near one another or to a friendly student so that they can help each other out. The minimal amount of space between the me and them will allow them to ask questions easier. Additionally, students who are fluent in the language and have mastered English will be close enough to share directions if needed.

Rules

1) Be Respectful
2) Come to class prepared
3) Be Attentive
4) Follow School Rules

Rules should be simple and easy to follow. I think it is important that students know exactly what it is that they are expected to do, so setting these clear expectations early is a sure way to get them adjusted quick and effectively. I will determine my rules based on the subject I am teaching, the age group, and the class structure. District and school rules will also be factored in to the classroom rules. The class may include a lab or be set in a non-typical classroom environment, and of course age appropriatness must always be considered.
Communicating the rules to the students will be a necessity on the first day of class. I will explain, rehearse, and reinforce these rules.; while at the same time ensuring the students understand them. I will also make sure that the students understand their role in the classroom, which is to have mutual respect for each other and to respect the teacher. Additionally, it is important that students understand that they are part of a team, a valued member of a learning community. Physical body language also goes a long way in communicating to students, so I need to make sure that the message I send is serious, with lots of eye contact and a firm demeanor. Every student should have a written copy of the rules and consequences, with additional copies in an accessible area and sent home to parents.
I need to discuss with students why a particular rule is needed and why it will help students succeed. At the same time, I need to be aware that there may be questions regarding rules, especially general rules. Included may be questions regarding penalties and rewards, these need to be gone over with the class and posted near the class rules. There are consequences involved in rules, and these rules can be both positive and negative. It is important that your students understand they have a choice regarding classroom rules and choices involve consequences.

Incentives and Rewards

Incentives and rewards provide good incentives as a means to motivate students motivation, performance, and instill a desire to learn. I will use rewards based solely on academic achievement, and rather than reward students for effort; I think that it is far better to reward students for their ability and what they are able to accomplish. Students will see right through a teacher praising them for effort, they feel much better about their accomplishments when they are real. Implementation of rewards shouldn't be self-defeating, but rather self-working. A student who achieves well on a test will have an option of work to do for a given test, if they study hard and make an A, they won't have to do additional work. A student who does poorly, will have the chance to make up that grade through additional work.
Praise should be acknowledgable and based on real achievement. If the effort is rewarded, the student will feel as if they are inferior and that the teacher is simply trying to make a big deal out of a small accomplishment. Praising real rewards however will give that student more satisfactin. Group incentives and class incentives also work well for this. Simply making a good grade or giving informative, positive comments are often times exactly what students need to boost their confidence. This type of praise will mean that the student will be more inclined to do a good job next time.

Behaviors and Consequences

Non-Verbal(Minor Offense)

Proximity or eye contact works as a form of non-verbal consequence towards minor behavior. Students will usually stop the inappropriate behavior when they feel as if the teacher is watching them or when they understand that they are being inappropriate.

1) Whispering in class
2) Not doing the assignment
3) Bothering fellow students
4) Tardiness

Verbal(Minor or Moderate Offense)

Sometimes it takes more than just a non-verbal cue to get the point across. At this point, you can either make a public verbal comment towards the student or a private verbal comment. If you are going to be public, make it non direct. For instance, mention to the whole class that you are happy for those that brought their books and you wish that everyone brought their books.

1) Repeated minor offenses
2) Talking out loud
3) Interupting teacher or class
4) Getting up out of seat

Conference(Moderate Offense)

When the inappropriate behavior still surfaces, it is time to be more assertive and take a direct approach to remedy the problem. Ask the student to stay after class or talk with him in private and see if a solution to the problem can be met. Without confronting or labeling the student, explain to the student the problem and ask if he or she can fix it. Offer suggestions and get a commitment from the student that he or she will attempt the fix the problem.

2) Physical contact with other students
3) Verbal confrontation with teacher or other students

Phone Home(Moderate to Major Offense)

Again, if the action is not remedied, the next step should be taken. Try and get a response from the parent by calling their house, see if perhaps a problem at home is causing the trouble of that you can get the parent to take appropriate action.

1) Repeated Moderate Offenses
2) Physical contact
3) Verbal confrontations

Referal(Major Offense)

As a last resort, referal's should be used. This takes the pressure off the teacher, but can have long term effects and resentment from the student. Only use a referal in the most extreme circumstances, try and take care of problems yourself.

1) Repeated Moderate or Major Offenses
2) Fighting
3) Vandalism

Policies/ Procedures/ routines

1) Ask permission before speaking or leaving your desk
3) Be respectful of your neighbors
4) Students should direct all attention on the teacher when speaking
5) Stay on task
6) The teacher, not the bell, dismisses the students
7) The class starts when the bell rings
8) Keep an organized and clane desk

Course Outline

American History Mr. Robert Schmitz
Littleton High School Phone #
treborschmitz@yahoo.com

Course Description: This course is intended to provide an overview of the events incorporating the United States from the founding of the original 13 colonies, to post World War II. Students are expected to show up fully prepared and ready to learn with assigned class materials and resources.

Objectives: At the finalization of this course, students are intended to have background knowledge on the founding of the United States, and show knowledge of important events and people.

Class Rules:

1) Be Respectful
3) Be Attentive
4) Follow School Rules

Class Procedures:

Grading: Grading Scale:

50% Tests/Quizzes A 90-100
25% Participation(classwork/folder) B 80-90
25% Final Project C 70-80
D 60-70
F 59-0

Note Taking: I require all students to develop a personal interactive folder. This folder can be personalized, but serves the purpose of keeping track of notes and working out class assignments. All work is expected to be held on to in this folder, remain organized, and neatly written. I will provide a teacher model that can be looked at to help you do this.

Extra Credit/Late Work: There will be several oppurtunities for makeup work and extra credit. Extra credit is intended to be harder and require more time than normal classwork, so keep that in mind. A folder will be available with a list of oppurtunities for extra credit at the assignment desk in the front of the class. Late work will also be accepted, however, there will be a letter grade penalty for every day that it is late. You will have 2 days to make up any assignment in the case of an absence.

Consequences/Conduct: I will not be keeping track of classroom conduct for the purpose of a grade. All of you are young adults and I expect you to act like it. However, keep in mind that the rules and procedures of the class should be followed at all times, and when they are disobeyed will be dealt with on an individual basis. I may ask you to stay after class, call a parent, or ask for a conference. In extreme circumstances you may be sent to the office or recieve a refferal; I don't expect to have to do any of this for the purpose of conduct.

* For any questions regarding the course outline, please see me before or after class or check the Social Science office. I would be more than happy to go over additional concerns or questions you might have.

Student Signature: Parent Signature:

http://cellfish.com/multimedia/110451

Old 07-13-2007, 06:42 PM   #2  
FreemaN
Super Moderator

Brings back memories....

Old 07-14-2007, 02:31 PM   #3  
Kudos
CS Team Member

What grade are you teaching? and in regards to the outline sounds pretty good to me, thats pretty much how i remember my classrooms up untill highschool.

Edit:nvm saw that you were teaching american history, i thought you were teaching like 6 year olds or somethin.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceBlade
Yeah that Kudos kid is fucking funny as a goat!
Quote:
Originally Posted by KhaoZ \FA\
For sure kudos is one suckass dude.

Old 07-15-2007, 11:37 AM   #4  
Jusuchinu
CS Staff

fuck high school...

Old 07-15-2007, 02:55 PM   #5  
Prayforplagues
First Blood!

Wow. scorp your running a fucking nazi concentration camp.

grats

Old 07-27-2007, 03:18 AM   #6  
Sc0rPi0n
Super Moderator

UPDATE ON IT

Classroom Management Plan

By

Robert Schmitz

ESE 4322 Classroom Management
Mrs. Shelli Whitworth

Room Arrangement

I plan on arranging my room to be both formal and welcoming. My room will have desks placed in columns on separate sides of the classrooms so that there is space in the middle. This is so that all the students in the classroom are close to me while I lecture, while having enough space to move around and feel comfortable. This also provides a natural barrier so that I can arrange games and activities as well as groups. On the back side of the classroom I will place my desk and personal files, allowing me to have easy access to papers and keep an eye on my belongings as well as the classroom. I will position to have the chalkboard at the front of the classroom so that students can view class work and overheads without having to turn their bodies. Extra materials and paperwork will be arranged on a desk near the entrance to the classroom.
The student’s desks will be arranged diagonally so that they can listen and take notes with ease. There will be minimal space between the teacher and the desks by placing the walking space in the middle of the classroom, and all the materials will either be out of the way or on top of an out of sight desk near the front of the classroom. This will place me near my students, while at the same time giving them enough space so that they can feel comfortable and move around at their desk.
For students who have a culturally or linguistically diverse background, I will arrange for them to be near one another or to a friendly student so that they can help each other out. The minimal amount of space between me and them will allow them to ask questions easier. Additionally, students who are fluent in the language and have mastered English will be close enough to share directions if needed.

Rules

1) Be Respectful
3) Be Attentive
4) Follow School Rules

Rules should be simple and easy to follow. I think it is important that students know exactly what it is that they are expected to do, so setting these clear expectations early is a sure way to get them adjusted quick and effectively. I will determine my rules based on the subject I am teaching, the age group, and the class structure. District and school rules will also be factored in to the classroom rules. The class may include a lab or be set in a non-typical classroom environment, and of course age appropriateness must always be considered.
Communicating the rules to the students will be a necessity on the first day of class. I will explain, rehearse, and reinforce these rules.; while at the same time ensuring the students understand them. I will also make sure that the students understand their role in the classroom, which is to have mutual respect for each other and to respect the teacher. Additionally, it is important that students understand that they are part of a team, a valued member of a learning community. Physical body language goes a long way in communicating to students, so I need to make sure that the message I send is serious, with lots of eye contact and a firm demeanor. Every student should have a written copy of the rules and consequences, with additional copies on the assignment desk and sent home to parents.
I need to discuss with students why a particular rule is needed and why it will help students succeed. At the same time, I need to be aware that there may be questions regarding rules, especially general rules. Included may be questions regarding penalties and rewards, these need to be gone over with the class and posted near the class rules. There are consequences involved in rules, and these rules can be both positive and negative. It is important that your students understand they have a choice regarding classroom rules and choices involve consequences.

Incentives and Rewards

Incentives and rewards provide good incentives as a means to facilitate student’s motivation, performance, and instill a desire to learn. I will use rewards based solely on academic achievement, and rather than reward students for effort; I think that it is far better to reward students for their ability and what they are able to accomplish. Students will see right through a teacher praising them for effort, they feel much better about their accomplishments when they are real. Implementation of rewards shouldn't be self-defeating, but rather self-working. A student who achieves well on a test will have an option of work to do for a given test, if they study hard and make an A, they won't have to do additional work. A student who does poorly, will have the chance to make up that grade through additional work.
Praise should be acknowledgeable and based on real achievement. If the effort is rewarded, the student will feel as if they are inferior and that the teacher is simply trying to make a big deal out of a small accomplishment. Praising real rewards however will give that student more satisfaction. Group incentives and class incentives also work well for this. Simply making a good grade or giving informative, positive comments are often times exactly what students need to boost their confidence. This type of praise will mean that the student will be more inclined to do a good job next time. The overall goal is to encourage intrinsic values that the student can retain so that if the opportunity presents again the student will make the right choice.

Behaviors and Consequences

Non-Verbal WARNING (Minor Offense)

Proximity or eye contact works as a form of non-verbal consequence towards minor behavior. Students will usually stop the inappropriate behavior when they feel as if the teacher is watching them or when they understand that they are being inappropriate.

1) Whispering in class
2) Not doing the assignment
3) Bothering fellow students
4) Tardiness

Verbal WARNING (Minor or Moderate Offense)

Sometimes it takes more than just a non-verbal cue to get the message across. At this point, you can either make a public verbal comment towards the student or a private verbal comment. If you are going to be public, make it non direct. For instance, mention to the whole class that you are happy for those that brought their books and you wish that everyone brought their books. Sometimes students may not even know there is a problem.

2) Talking out loud
3) Interrupting teacher or class
4) Getting up out of seat
5) Coming to class unprepared

Conference (Moderate Offense)

When the inappropriate behavior still surfaces, it is time to be more assertive and take a direct approach to remedy the problem. Ask the student to stay after class or talk with him in private and see if a solution to the problem can be met. Without confronting or labeling the student, explain to the student the problem and ask if he or she can fix it. Offer suggestions and get a commitment from the student that he or she will attempt the fix the problem. This may help the student fix the problem.

2) Physical contact with other students
3) Verbal confrontation with teacher or other students
4) Cheating

Phone Home (Moderate to Major Offense)

Again, if the action is not remedied, the next step should be taken. Try and get a response from the parent by calling their house, see if perhaps a problem at home is causing the trouble or that you can get the parent to take appropriate action.

1) Repeated Moderate Offenses
2) Physical contact
3) Verbal confrontations

Referral (Major Offense)

As a last resort, referrals should be used. This takes the pressure off the teacher, but can have long term effects and resentment from the student. Only use a referral in the most extreme circumstances, try and take care of problems yourself.

1) Repeated Moderate or Major Offenses
2) Fighting
3) Vandalism
4) Any type of dangerous behavior

Policies/ Procedures/ routines

1) All students should be seated in their assigned seats when the bell rings.
This is to help the teacher take attendance and insure that students are on task

2) Students are to ask permission before touching anything on the teacher’s desk.
The teacher’s desk is a private area that should be respected, just like the student’s locker or backpack

3) All classroom materials need to be kept in their proper place.
An organized and messy classroom can take a lot of time out of the learning experience, and students can trip on left over papers or cut themselves on scissors that have been left out

4) Students must remain seated when the bell rings until dismissed.
There may still be a lesson going on while the bell rings, or some important information that needs to be shared

5) Make-up work must be turned in two days after the missed absence.
Two days gives the student enough time to find out what is needed and to accomplish the assignment

6) Students can find make-up work in the classroom folder on the assignment desk.
Students will not even have to ask what they need to do; they can simply grab the assignment and begin working on it unless they have questions on how to do it

7) Late work will have an average deduction of one letter grade for every day late.
Students who do the assignment should still receive points. However, since it took them longer to accomplish it they still haven’t mastered the material; either that or they haven’t prioritized their work yet.

8) Extra Credit assignments will be available for all students. A folder listing opportunities for extra credit will be placed on the assignment desk.
I believe that giving students opportunities to go back and correct their mistakes is an important part of education. Knowing they have a chance to make up an assignment, they will have less stress and work towards improving themselves rather than giving up.

9) Students who are late should sit down quietly; if the need arises they can discuss the tardy
after class.
Little disruption, student can immediately get on task

10) Students may leave for the restroom at any time provided they take a hall pass. If they are gone for an extended period of time consistently this privilege may be taken away.
Not even a teacher can control Mother Nature. Knowing they can leave if they have to regardless of the circumstance, students will feel safer. At the same time, abuse of this privilege will result in restricted use for that student.

11) Requests to leave room that require special passes should be brought up with the teacher.
The teacher needs to know where exactly the students are going when they leave class in order to keep them safe and out of trouble

12) Students are responsible for their own supplies. If the need arises the teacher will take an item of value from the student as collateral in exchange for a book or pencil.
Not all students can afford supplies, or sometimes they just forget. That shouldn’t stop the lesson

13) Students may only get materials during class work time, never when a lecture or discussion session is taking place.
In order to keep disruptions at a minimum, doing something that requires a lot of noise can wait until after the teacher or students are done talking

14) It is important to keep your voice down during cooperative group activities, do not yell.
Students like to yell when they are in groups; they need to respect the classes around them who may be taking tests

15) When in a group, only one student will be allowed to leave the desk for materials.
Many students trying to grab materials isn’t just inefficient, it can be dangerous

16) During any lecture or discussion session, students should raise their hands to be called on.
Students need to respect each others opinions and give the teacher the right to call on students

17) Students need to be attentative at all times once the bell rings; eyes and ears on the speaker, no sleeping, putting on makeup, blowing bubbles, reading alone, or talking with your friends.
This goes without saying, students should be on task and respect the speaker

Course Outline

American History Mr. Robert Schmitz
Littleton High School (813)982-9344
treborschmitz@yahoo.com

Course Description: This course is intended to provide an overview of the events incorporating the United States from the founding of the original 13 colonies, to post World War II. Students are expected to show up fully prepared and ready to learn with assigned class materials and resources.

Objectives: At the finalization of this course, students are intended to have background knowledge on the founding of the United States, and show knowledge of important events and people.

Class Rules:

1) Be Respectful
3) Be Attentive
4) Follow School Rules

Class Procedures:

1) All students should be seated in their assigned seats when the bell rings.
2) Students are to ask permission before touching anything on the teacher’s desk.
3) All classroom materials need to be kept in their proper place.
4) Students must remain seated when the bell rings until dismissed.
5) Make-up work must be turned in two days after the missed absence.
6) Students can find make-up work in the classroom folder on the assignment desk.
7) Late work will have an average deduction of one letter grade for every day late.
8) Extra Credit assignments will be available for all students. A folder listing opportunities for extra credit will be placed on the assignment desk.
9) Students who are late should sit down quietly; if the need arises they can discuss the tardy
after class.
10) Students may leave for the restroom at any time provided they take a hall pass. If they are gone for an extended period of time consistently this privilege may be taken away.
11) Requests to leave room that require special passes should be brought up with the teacher.
12) Students are responsible for their own supplies. If the need arises the teacher will take an item of value from the student as collateral in exchange for a book or pencil.
13) Students may only get materials during class work time, never when a lecture or discussion session is taking place.
14) It is important to keep your voice down during cooperative group activities, do not yell.
15) When in a group, only one student will be allowed to leave the desk for materials.
16) During any lecture or discussion session, students should raise their hands to be called on.
17) Students need to be attentative at all times once the bell rings; eyes and ears on the speaker, no sleeping, putting on makeup, blowing bubbles, reading alone, or talking with your friends.

Grading: Grading Scale:

50% Tests/Quizzes A 90-100
25% Participation(classwork/folder) B 80-90
25% Final Project C 70-80
D 60-70
F 59-0

Note Taking: I require all students to develop a personal interactive folder. This folder can be personalized, but serves the purpose of keeping track of notes and working out class assignments. All work is expected to be held on to in this folder, remain organized, and neatly written. I will provide a teacher model that can be looked at to help you do this.

Extra Credit/Late Work: There will be several opportunities for makeup work and extra credit. Extra credit is intended to be harder and require more time than normal class work, so keep that in mind. A folder will be available with a list of opportunities for extra credit at the assignment desk in the front of the class. Late work will also be accepted, however, there will be a letter grade penalty for every day that it is late. You will have 2 days to make up any assignment in the case of an absence.

Consequences/Conduct: I will not be keeping track of classroom conduct for the purpose of a grade. All of you are young adults and I expect you to act like it. However, keep in mind that the rules and procedures of the class should be followed at all times, and when they are disobeyed will be dealt with on an individual basis. I may ask you to stay after class, call a parent, or ask for a conference. In extreme circumstances you may be sent to the office or receive a referral; I don't expect to have to do any of this for the purpose of conduct.

* For any questions regarding the course outline, please see me before or after class or check the Social Science office. I would be more than happy to go over additional concerns or questions you might have.

Student Signature:_________________________________ Parent Signature :

Old 07-27-2007, 03:19 AM   #7  
Sc0rPi0n
Super Moderator

Got a 93 on it! woot dictatorship ftw

Old 07-27-2007, 03:08 PM   #8  
Kudos
CS Team Member

i didnt know if it was in there because i didnt want to read through it again but add no phones, thats normally the only big problems my teachers have with the students.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceBlade
Yeah that Kudos kid is fucking funny as a goat!
Quote:
Originally Posted by KhaoZ \FA\
For sure kudos is one suckass dude.

Old 07-27-2007, 03:43 PM   #9  
Sc0rPi0n
Super Moderator

That should be covered on procedure #17 and rule #1. I know that in Florida cellphones have to be turned off at all times while in the classroom, but students can hold on to them. If they are on for any reason they can be confiscated by an administrator

Old 08-09-2007, 11:04 PM   #10  
uncloned
Dominating!

Have you read The Essential 55 by Ron Clark?

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...kstorenow57-20