Go Back   Fallen Angels > General Discussion > Anything Goes!

ever hear about people who get in trouble for copyright infrigement on campus? Well..
Old 01-19-2007, 12:08 PM   #1  
MaVeRiCk
Dominating!

Default ever hear about people who get in trouble for copyright infrigement on campus? Well..

Apparently I just joined that roster...

I haven't contacted administration yet because I'm a little weary and doing some research first.

First and foremost not a single mp3 or anything above that has been UPLOADED from my machine on the network, ever. I don't use torrent programs and I don't stream any sort of media.

Hell I've hardly even downloaded songs; I have people on my all who have a full ares download/upload list every time I walk by.

I guess my question here is:

Is there anyone who could give me some advice or point me in the right direction? I don't really want to get cheap shotted by the administration when I really haven't done anything. Hell I'm not even ballsy enough to hook my XBL up to the resnet connection like a lot of ppl I know; and I've maybe downloaded 10 songs the entire semester while on campus (and no uploads, 0 , zip, zilch, nadda)

Old 01-19-2007, 02:01 PM   #2  
blood

blood is

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaVeRiCk
Apparently I just joined that roster...

I haven't contacted administration yet because I'm a little weary and doing some research first.

First and foremost not a single mp3 or anything above that has been UPLOADED from my machine on the network, ever. I don't use torrent programs and I don't stream any sort of media.

Hell I've hardly even downloaded songs; I have people on my all who have a full ares download/upload list every time I walk by.

I guess my question here is:

Is there anyone who could give me some advice or point me in the right direction? I don't really want to get cheap shotted by the administration when I really haven't done anything. Hell I'm not even ballsy enough to hook my XBL up to the resnet connection like a lot of ppl I know; and I've maybe downloaded 10 songs the entire semester while on campus (and no uploads, 0 , zip, zilch, nadda)
their network admin has logs of transfers. if he doesn't have that info then it's they have no proof. if they have no proof, no legal action can be taken. if they take it anyway, counter-sue for a higher amount and reap the benefits.

in short, don't worry about it unless they come to you. if you havn't done anything like that and they have logs, the sys admin should be able to verify this. also, like i said, if they can't, they can't legally do shit. innocent until proven guilty, right?

})FA| blood

Old 01-19-2007, 02:46 PM   #3  
MaVeRiCk
Dominating!

I have allocated some songs, but I've never distributed any of the material. I have downloaded much...

Like I said, I have friends who got their resnet suspended the first week b/c they uploaded over 10gb in a 7 day period on ares and nothing ever happened to them in regards to a copyright violation(so they obviously DL practically everyday anyway, and leave their ares on idle)... I've got less songs that one can count on your hands....

Old 01-20-2007, 02:46 PM   #4  
Hell-Kite
Skelator

how do you know ur in trouble? Did someone tell you? Or you get a letter?

Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici

Old 01-20-2007, 03:08 PM   #5  
MegamanEXE
First Blood!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell-Kite
how do you know ur in trouble? Did someone tell you? Or you get a letter?

had the same thoughts going.

Old 01-21-2007, 12:30 AM   #6  
Beyonder
X-Login King

I got my internet shut down in the dorms for a week once, but if it is just the university contacting you, you should probably not worry. You should be worried if the university gives your information out to the copy rights holders, in which case you would have probably been served legal papers directly from them. I don't know if any universities actually do this?

Old 01-21-2007, 01:09 PM   #7  
MaVeRiCk
Dominating!

well they shut off my internet for copyright violation right before the weekend started and no ones in the office that handles this stuff... So I'm still lay and wait.

Old 01-21-2007, 02:27 PM   #8  
MegamanEXE
First Blood!

Have you considered hijacking someone's wireless connection?

Old 01-21-2007, 05:58 PM   #9  
Ghostex
Luminiferous Aether

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegamanEXE
Have you considered hijacking someone's wireless connection?

god bless free internet.

Old 01-21-2007, 06:34 PM   #10  
MaVeRiCk
Dominating!

This is a college town (and i live right in the middle of downtown), no one is stupid enough to leave their wireless without a WEP or WPA.....